5.02.2010

To Text or Not To Text?


We could just get "lucky", like I did in the past. It's NOT worth it. Even if nothing happens.

Driving distracted can be prevented=less people have to be severely injured or die b/c of it.

2008: over 800,000 Americans were texting, making calls, or using a handheld cell phone while driving just during the DAY. This doesn't include adding darkness, which increases the risk. Almost 6,000 Americans were killed.

Let's NOT be a part of these statistics.



Experts say that driving distracted by your cell phone is just as dangerous as driving drunk. 4 out of every 5 accidents (80%) are attributed to distracted drivers. In contrast, drunk drivers account for roughly 1 out of 3 (33%) of all accidents nationally. These stats prove it's actually worse. Texting while driving is about 6 times more likely to result in an accident than driving while intoxicated. WOW.

Let's get OFF the phone in our cars. Not everyone dies or get critically injured. I've gotten away with it many times. After a terrible accident happened in Cache Valley, in which young man was texting on HWY 89/91 and hit two men, killing them, I stopped. Why didn't I think about this before?? I don't know. I was being too ignorant. I didn't do it all the time but sometimes I did.

I now keep my phone on silent and just wait till I'm done driving to get back to people. I hope you'll do the same if you don't already. It REALLY can wait. Right?

1 comment:

Queen of Kings said...

We have a strict no texting rule in the car in our family. The night we got married on our way back to Salt Lake they closed the freway by Willard because an 18 year old girl came across the median at 80mph and hit another driver head on (due to texting) so we made the deal then absolutly no texting. We also know the boy who hit the men in Cashe Valley SOOO SAD! We are in full support of this :)