3.16.2010

Recipes!!!

Update: To date Emil has lost: 41.8lbs. and I have lost 31.6lbs!! WAHOO! However, while his waist size has changed drastically, mine hasn't :(. I mean I'm down about 3 sizes, but I think I'm just loosing it slower there because I gain it there the quickest. But I feel a lot smaller than that, in my clothes and just feeling so good each day that it's ok!

People keep asking for me to share the recipes I've been using so I figure that if I list the sources, I won't get sued...right?? I sure hope so!!

I know it's long but so many of you wanted me to share, so here ya go! Hope you try them out!!

Veggies with pasta!
Serving size, 2 (but it's SO much that I do 4. So for us, that's only 135 cals and about 5 g of fat! Awesome. If you need more servings, I recommend adding more veggies not pasta, it's healthier.)
370 Cals a serving 9.6 g fat

2 Zucchini
1 medium purple union (don't like/wanna cut one? try use union powder..about 1 tbsp. Not as good, but still works)
4-6 Spears of Asparagus
24 cherry tomatoes, cut in HALVES (just buy the pack of them, that's what I do)
1 Red Bell Pepper (I do 1/2 of a red and a orange bell pepper)
1/4-1/3 of a can of Artichoke hearts (optional, but sure adds great flavor!)
1/2 Cup Feta Cheese (SO GOOD FOR YOU)
1/4 Cup Marinara Sauce (optional, I don't add it for me but Emil likes it. Instead I spray Salad Spritzers Ranch flavor, 5 sprays but 10 is serving size)
1 Cup dried penne pasta, or other bit size pasta
1/2 Cup grated Parmesan cheese
1 tsp Balsamic Vinegar (I just "sprinkle" on top instead of measuring)
2 tbsp Lemon juice
1 1/2 tsp pepper
1 tsp salt (I use sea salt, if you want less sodium use Morton's low sodium salt)
1 1/2 tsp minced garlic (optional)
1 tbsp Olive Oil

Start boiling water for pasta. Cut up Zucchini, bell pepper, and asparagus into bit sizes. Cut union in half. Place flat side down and cut into wedges. Start oven on HI Broil. I use 9 by 13 pan lined with tin foil to broil veggies in. Place veggies in foiled pan, add artichokes, and if using garlic add it. If water is boiling, add a bit of oilve oil and salt then put 1 cup dry wheat pasta and turn down to medium. Stir occasionally. Cut cherry tomatoes in half. Set aside.
Base veggies in pan with olive oil and sprinkle salt and pepper on veggies. I mix it all together well with a rubber scrapper so as not to tear foil. Place in oven and roast on broil for 10-15 mins total, turning over half way. Because there are so many veggies, this takes a bit but it may be faster in your oven so check on it periodically so it doesn't burn! When veggies are done, mix up again and add Parmesan & feta cheese, vinegar IF using, lemon juice, mixed up again. Let cool for 2-4 mins. Then add tomatoes, pasta and which ever sauce you are using. I set sauces aside and we just add them in.

I LOVE this dish. Some of this comes from a book called "Eat Healthy, Lose Weight" and some just comes from good 'ol me! I think you could try using the veggies you like but it will change the fat and cals in the serving size.

Peanut Butter Cups
We use all organic ingredients. This FABULOUS recipe comes from the book "The Kind Diet", it's 100% Vegan! My source is my book but I got it online at: http://www.thedailygreen.com
I make this every week, Emil can't live with out it! I've added all the *remarks.

"Back in the day, I was obsessed with Reese’s Peanut Butter Cups. Now I make this healthier version and they are way better. In fact, I think they are the most ridiculously delicious things in the entire world. Look for graham crackers that are naturally sweetened or low in sugar (Health Valley makes a good one), and store the leftover crackers or crumbs in an airtight container for future use." -Alicia Silverstone

SERVINGS
12

INGREDIENTS
1/2 cup Earth Balance butter *It's at Good Earth & Smith's or other health food stores.
3/4 cup crunchy peanut butter (preferably unsweetened and unsalted)
3/4 cup graham cracker crumbs or 10 graham cracker squares
1/4 cup maple sugar or other granulated sweetener
1 cup grain-sweetened, nondairy chocolate or carob chips
1/4 cup soy, rice, or nut milk
1/4 cup chopped pecans, almonds, or peanuts

PREPARATION
1. Line a 12-cup muffin tin with paper liners. (If You Care makes unbleached liners made from recycled paper.) Set aside.
2. Melt the butter in a small saucepan over medium heat.
3. Stir in the peanut butter, graham cracker crumbs, and maple sugar and mix well.
4. Remove the mixture from the heat. Evenly divide the mixture, approximately 2 tablespoons per cup, among the muffin cups.
5. Combine the chocolate and milk in another pan. Stir over medium heat until the chocolate has melted. *I add Agave Nectar to taste b/c I needed a little bit more sweet. Still is great!
6. Spoon the chocolate evenly over the peanut butter mixture.
7. Top with chopped nuts.
8. Place in the refrigerator to set for at least 2 hours before serving. *We stick it in the freezer for the week and they only take about 5 mins to soften. They are kinda too soft if you only use the fridge but try it and see if that works for you.*

Excerpted from The Kind Diet by Alicia Silverstone (2009, Rodale). All rights reserved. See more of Alicia Silverstone's vegan recipes.

Read more: http://www.thedailygreen.com/healthy-eating/recipes/chocolate-peanut-butter-cups-recipe#ixzz0iOl1R7Ji"


"I adore couscous, and this is a wonderful way to prepare it. Not only is it tasty, it looks gorgeous on a big serving plate as the centerpiece of a meal. You can complement it with a simple salad or let it be the beginning of a feast that includes soup, hummus, and veggies. This recipe serves six, but you can halve it or just make a big batch and keep leftovers in the fridge." -Alicia Silverstone

SERVINGS
6

INGREDIENTS
2 cups peeled butternut squash, cut into 1/4 to 1/2-inch cubes
2 cups yellow onion, large dice
1 1/2 cups carrots, cut into 1/4 to 1/2-inch cubes
1 1/2 cups zucchini, cut into 3/4-inch cubes
2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
Fine sea salt
1 1/2 teaspoons freshly ground black pepper
1 1/2 cups vegetable broth
2 tablespoons Earth Balance butter
1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
1/2 teaspoon saffron threads *This is WAY too pricey for us. We left it out and it was still great!*
1 1/2 cups whole wheat couscous
2 scallions, white and green parts, chopped *This is just green unions, I didn't know that!

PREPARATION
1. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
2. Place the squash, onion, carrots, and zucchini on a baking sheet and toss with the olive oil, 1 teaspoon salt, and 1 teaspoon pepper.
3. Roast for 25 to 30 minutes, turning once with a spatula about midway through.
4. While the vegetables roast, bring the vegetable broth to a boil in a saucepan.
5. Remove the pan from the heat, and stir in the butter, remaining 1/2 teaspoon pepper, cumin, saffron *I just put long ways thin sliced pieces or green unions in it and it was still fabulous!*, and salt to taste.
6. Cover the pan and steep for 15 minutes.
7. Scrape the roasted vegetables and their juices into a large bowl, and add the couscous.
8. Bring the vegetable broth back to a boil, and pour over the couscous mixture all at once.
9. Cover tightly with a plate and allow to stand for 15 minutes.
10. Add the scallions, toss the couscous and vegetables with a fork, and serve.

Excerpted from The Kind Diet by Alicia Silverstone (2009, Rodale). All rights reserved. See more of Alicia Silverstone's vegan recipes.

Read more: http://www.thedailygreen.com/healthy-eating/recipes/moroccan-couscous-recipe#ixzz0iOlurQS7

I've made all of these and they are DELISH!! LOVE THEM!! I'm even having a PB cup right now, haha!

Most the ingredients have come from Walmart, Smith's and Good Earth. I don't shop at Fresh Mart/Alberston's so I'm not sure about that. We have a health food store here but it's too expensive, it's called Shangrilay. Agave Nectar is like honey, so it's where the baked goods are. The whole grain chips I got from Good Earth. Couscous is by the rice in most stores.

I've been recently using this website for ideas. It's still new to me but I usually use the 500 Cal meal section. There's a stuffed Portobello mushroom recipe in there that is GREAT with Spaghetti...that's what we just ate for dinner, YUMMO. But each section seems to have some great info.

Rule of thumb for veggies, if you like them better roasted do it! Eat them in a way that you enjoy! This is primarily how I've been cooking veggies for dinner, and the more I try different veggies the more I understand how and which ones go together. You can add brown rice or couscous with it and some seasonings and it's great!

If you really are interested in it check it out. They even have just heatlhier recipes and 30 minute quick ones! So far I really like it!
Really, your gonna cook anyways right? The only way to see if you like something new is to TRY it. The more I've been cooking I've figured out what things I can leave out of recipes or substitute and know what goes well together.

We only eat about 1400-1600 cals a day and sometimes that is TOO MUCH food! How? We eat energy dense foods. Foods that have low cals but are "heavy"/keep you fuller longer=VEGGIES or FRUIT!

Let me know if you try any of these, they are all worth the good health I promise! I'd love your opinions or tips on any of them!! :)

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

We can buy earth balance butter from schriebers!! Alyson :)

Jolynne said...

Congrats on all the weight loss! Your Amazing!

Lacking Productivity said...

I totally know how much work it is to lose 30lbs. That is a huge accomplishment. I hope you are so proud of yourself!

Now I want to see pictures!

Travis and Celena said...

List where you got them from and you will be fine. Congrats on everything that you guys have done. I am so happy that everything is working out so well. Loves!

Ashlee said...

Woot Woot! Way to go guys! And thanks for the recipes. I'm always on the lookout for good healthy ones!

Nic and Ashley Haws said...

To say you're an incredible example is putting it lightly! What about sugars and stuff? See, I've recently discovered that I'm addicted to sugar. Seriously. I'm really not joking. I'm trying to figure out how to overcome this addiction and it's soooo hard. What does your new life style say about sugar?

Unknown said...

Seriously, you guys are UH-MAY-ZING! I am foshizzle super inspired by you and all that you have accomplished. Those recipes sound super yummy.....

joanne brickey said...

The raw organic blue aguave & the cacoa powder are Dad's absolute favorites. He uses them daily to sweeten his raw oats & water breakfast! He has a sweet tooth for sure & these are very satisfying & ok for even diabetics! Then for a treat after dinner, as he unwinds from the labors of the day, he frequently eats a frozen smoothie, made of only frozen, unsweetened fruits. When he wasn't avoiding most dairy, we put plain yogurt in the smoothies. They are awesome! A cleanse helps get rid of those sugar-addiction-cravings.